The Wisconsin Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (WIAAP) recognizes that climate change is a public health emergency that is harming the health and well being of the patients we serve. The WIAAP aims to prevent the worsening of those harms by:
- Improving internal operations of the WIAAP to decrease our environmental impact.
- Supporting efforts made by Wisconsin healthcare systems to decrease environmental impact.
- Advocating for research-based, equitable climate change mitigation and adaptation policies in the public and private sector.
- Educating students, healthcare professionals, and patients about the effects of climate change on child health.
- Supporting interdisciplinary coalitions that aim to achieve equitable climate mitigation and adaptation solutions.
- Creating the position of an Environmental Health Climate Advocate within the WIAAP to aid in achieving the aforementioned goals.
READ FULL STATEMENT>